Tuesday, June 7, 2016

My Summer Reading List - What are You Reading?

June, July, August.  Three months equal 12 weeks equal....how many books could I possibly read this summer?  Here are my top 10 books I AM going to read and some bonus titles I may get to.



1.Dead Wake by Erik Larson  non-fiction, adult

2. Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon  young adult, realistic read

3. Paper Hearts by Meg Wiviott  young adult, novel in verse/historical fiction

4. Rebel Bully Geek Pariah by Erin Jade Lange  young adult, realistic read

5.  Every Last Word by Tamara Ireland Stone young adult, realistic read

6. Novice by Taran Matharu  young adult, fantasy

7. Radical by E.M Kokie  young adult, realistic fiction

8. Tell Me Three Things by Julie Buxbaum young adult, realistic fiction

9. These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnally, mystery

10. The Light Fantastic by Sarah Combs, thriller



And lest we forget these (don't!)

Claiming Noah by Amanda Ortlepp adult, realistic fiction

Beware That Girl by Teresa Toten young adult, thriller

Hold Me Like a Breath by Tiffany Schmidt young adult, thriller

Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven  young adult, realistic fiction

Mayday by Karen Harrington young adult, realistic fiction

Shallow Graves by Kali Wallace, horror/supernatural supernatural/horror

9 comments:

The Daily Librarian said...

I'm hoping you thoroughly enjoy These Shallow Graves. It was a pure delight for me the entire way through. I've recommended it to several teachers, and they've loved it as well. Be sure you let me know what you think!

Rhonda said...

I loved Everything Everthing and Every Last Word! If you haven't read When We Collided, I highly recommend it joining your summer reading list. One of my favorites right now.

Mary Z said...

I haven't read These Shallow Graves, but I have read Shallow Graves (The titles are too close together for books that are so drastically different! It reminds me of an embarrassing conversation in which I thought we were discussing Between Shades of Gray, but it was a different book entirely). I couldn't put it down! For me, it was one of those rare books that has everything I'm looking for perfectly balanced. I think it's going to become one of my new all-time favorites.

I'd be interested in what you think of Everything, Everything. I hear people raving about it, but I personally was not happy with it at all, and everyone I know who actually have life-threatening allergies or immune disorders dislikes it. It's a shame, because we really need more books on immune/autoimmune disorders. The only good one around right now is My Year of Epic Rock. I felt like the author didn't understand the problem well enough to get herself out of the corner she'd written herself into, so she took a shortcut, and it just doesn't work (and it's disparaging to the immune disorder community). I won't say any more, but I really would be interested in your thoughts after you read it.

David said...

I've read Everything, Everything, and will be interested to hear your take on it. Otherwise, you've given me some good ideas of books to add to my already extensive summer reading list, which includes The Hired Girl, Extraordinary Means, The Last Boy and Girl in the World, Faceless and Flawed.

MrsReaderPants said...

Hi, Naomi! I've read three of these--Everything, Everything; These Shallow Graves; and Every Last Word. All three were FANTASTIC! Paper Hearts looks fab!

Unknown said...

Ditto! I also loved These Shallow Graves. I'm a huge Jennifer Donnelly fan in general and this book is definitely one of her best.

Karen Harrington said...

Ooh, thank you for including MAYDAY on this list. I've read several of these books already. Off to add new ones to my own list.

Sarah C. said...

My 10:
The Borden Murders by Sarah Miller (Book Battle!)(Nonfiction)
The Steep and Thorny Way by Cat Winters
Maybe a Fox by Kathi Appelt
The Story of Seeds by Nancy Castaldo (Nonfiction)
The Great American Whatever by Tim Federle
The Dark Days Club by Alison Goodman
Exit, Pursued by a Bear by E.K. Johnston
These Shallow Graves by Jennifer Donnelly
Vengeance Road by Erin Bowman
Walk on Earth a Stranger by Rae Carson

bj neary said...

Books I've LOVED this summer
The Serpent King by Jeff Zentner (read it and listened to it)
What We Saw by Aaron Hartzler
I'll Meet You There by Heather Demetrios
Everything Leads to You by Nina LaCour
Lily & Dunkin by Donna Gephart
If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
When We Collided by Emery Lord
The Way I Used to Be by Amber Smith
I Am Princess X by Cherie Priest
Highly Illogical Behavior by John Cory Whaley
Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
The Last Star by Rick Yancey
The Summer of Chasing Mermaids by Sarah Ockler
You Know Me Well by Nina LaCour & David Levithan
Violent Ends by Shaun David Hutchinson