Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What's your book?

In the last three years, I've read some amazing YA books, some that were okay, and some that were disturbing to read, which is as it should be. Not all YA lit is going to be what affects every person the same. Case in point, after reading Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott, I thought about that book for days afterward. In fact, I could only read that book in chunks, even though it was relatively short. And then, news about J.C. Dugard came out and I couldn't help but think about Scott's YA novel and real-life....and yes, I thought this book was amazing.
So, if you had to pick a book (or two but no more than three)that had full impact, which one(s) would it be? For me, it was the above, but also Julius Lester's Guardian. Can't believe we haven't heard more about that from blog posts and/or listserv posts. To me, it was that powerful, but as I stated above...
So, if you come across this post and have two minutes, post what you think are those books that are what you consider power YA novels that make you think, cringe a little, and dig a little deeper....

9 comments:

Mezzowriter said...

Markus Zusak's "I am the Messenger."
It didn't make me cringe, but I thought it really dug into human nature.

Mrs. M said...

I know it is more of an "adult" book, but The Lovely Bones is one that really haunted me. I read this book before I had children and it bothered me so much that I had a hard time finishing it. It has obviously increased in popularity due to the release of the movie and it is ALWAYS checked out in my HS library.

Melissa @ Mel's Books and Info said...

I would have to agree with you about Living Dead Girl. I read that book almost a year and a half ago and it still stays with me. The writing was beautiful, but the story was so distubing. It wasn't one of my favorites not because it wasn't well written, but because it was disturbing to read.

joanna said...

It's not a cringe book, but Before I Die by Jenny Downham wrecked me. I knew going in my emotions would be manipulated, but dang, it haunted me for weeks.

Naomi said...

I forgot all about Before I Die. What a unique concept, although Chris Crutcher's Deadline was along the same lines, except not as dark....but you're right about this one!

bj neary said...

I definitely agree that Scott's Living Dead Girl still has me freaked out. I was mesmerized and sickened by The Missing Girl by Norma Fox Mazer. Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas really made me cringe but then Anya saved the day (and her mother, sister and brother) by using her new found voice. A new one out is Split by Swati (can't remember her last name---a Goodreads author) and that father caused terror, anguish, and mental distress crippling the brothers, but they "split"- a can't put it down suspenseful read.

Book Snob said...

I would definitely have to put Going Bovine on my list. The book blew me away and left me emotionally exhausted.

Naomi said...

I haven't ready Going Bovine yet. People either love it or not. Now I'm really wondering why, esp. after your comment. Time to break the spine open!
Thanks!! : )

Coffeegrljp said...

I just finished Perfect Chemistry and it really made me want to cry several times. Not because the material is really all that sad, and I don't mention it because it's the most well-written book I've ever read (I think some of the characters are over-simplified, etc.). However, I admire the author for really tackling and digging into the difficult issue of gangs and Alejandro's character reminded me of several young men I know who are also either involved with gangs, or trying to stay out of gangs -- it's heartbreaking to watch these young people trying to survive something that would challenge even adults. I think this book will be with me for a while.