Wednesday, February 15, 2017

15 Ways to Use Snapchat and the Library

So, yesterday a colleague and friend of mine, Sarah Thomasson, sent out an email that started me down the path of using Snapchat.  I can be like one of those kids in left field that sees a butterfly...and I'm off doing something else.  Well, Sarah sent me a big butterfly and shared the fact that Snapchat can be used as a QR code reader!

You know what that means?

Students will be more likely to scan QR codes using their favorite social media site  than having to download a site that are favorited by educators.  And off I went down this path of resistance to blow it wide open.

I confess, I was one of those people who wasn't going to Snapchat....at all.  Why?  Because it was for "another generation" beyond me, I didn't want to learn something else, I was fine with what I already have.  But then Sarah's butterfly kicked my butt!  That is NOT the right attitude to have!  If social media is going beyond the standard, then I should hold myself up to that standard too!

So....ideas just started FLYING!  I'm going to write them down really quick so I won't forget them either!

1. Of course, QR codes....

2. learning from my followers!!!  Ideas come from all over!!

3. Highlight the great things happening in the library with a story so people can see the importance of school libraries.

4. doing quick booktalks

5. sharing book covers from a certain genre or collection

6. A quick reminder to students about what's happening

7. before and after pics or videos

8. Using those silly filters on books with faces (a librarian shared hardcopy of these...I want to try digital now!)

9. monthly library "story" update

10. Snapchat school events I attend (to show librarians DO things other than "librarian-ish" things)

11. Quick preview of new library resources

12. testimonials on the importance of libraries from teachers, admin, students

13. take a pic of a tweet you're going to send to "smash" two social media apps together instead of typing it all over again

14. do a library mystery theater or "escape room" type of program

15. answering the age-old question, "What do librarians do all day??"

This was a QUICK overview of my enthusiasm spilling over today but I hope you can use these ideas as well as SHARE great ideas via comments with everyone.  And if you want to follow me, I'm at nhstexlibrary

Have fun, and start Snapchatting!

See you on the filtered side!!








4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm with you, Naomi. I was going to try to just ignore Snapchat and Instagram as I am using other avenues of social media but if that is where our patrons are, we have no excuses. I am diving in to explore the possibilities and applaud that you are as well! This article from Participate really gave me a handle on options for the classroom and library.
https://www.participate.com/articles/6-ways-to-use-instagram-in-your-clssroom-right-now/3e3ec6f3-2bfe-4243-a8cf-8798726b128c

MVWSandberg said...

Okay, I am going to ask a stupid question. I have the app open and when I scan a qr code, nothing happens. I tried pressing for a pic but still nothing. It took me ages to learn about filters, thanks to my 11 year old niece I now get a chuckle everyday from those silly items. ;) Please help me understand how to scan qr codes with the snapchat app. I checked and I do have the most up to date version of the app, so now what? ;)
Thank you Naomi. Because of you I have taken the leap. I will now also have a professional snapchat account as well as personal...just like twitter, instagram and facebook. Was putting it off but you have convinced me to just do it and ENJOY! :)
Thanks!

Naomi said...

Someone share with me a great idea of taking a photo of SAT/ACT dates and other important dates to put on Snapchat. Thank you Tammy F!

Richard Lee said...

Thank you for great tutorial!

I recommend also FineFilterz.com